Page 63 - SLO Visitors Guide Summer/Fall 2020
P. 63

 in beautiful downtown Templeton since 1994
                                    Oak grilled USDA prime steaks, seasonal seafood, natural grown chicken, pork and lamb, and fresh seasonal menus supporting local growers.
Featuring local wines and beer
McPhee’s Butcher Shop
Don’t want to go out for dinner? Stop by and get one of our steaks to take home and BBQ.
416 S. main street, templeton
805 | 434 | 3204
       Lunch Mon-Sat 11:3C0loasmed-2Mpomnd|aDyisnner nightly at 5 pm
 Lunch: Tues-Fri 11:30-1:30 Dinner: Tues-Sun 5pm
                   “dedicated to great food and great service”
      Templeton – a small town with a big history
Templeton might seem like a quaint, sleepy village these days, but at one time, the town
was a busy center for travelers and commerce. In the 1800s, the arrival of the railroad turned small towns into economic hubs and Templeton was no exception to that prosperity.
Spain and the mission padres were the first to introduce agricul- ture to California, displacing the original Salinan people in the pro- cess. When Spain was driven out the Mexican government sold or granted the Spanish ranchos to loyal friends and supporters. That’s how brothers Daniel and James Blackburn, along with Lazard Godchaux, came into possession of the land in 1857.
The founding of Templeton in 1886 coincided with the arrival
of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Templeton was the last station headed south. Passengers traveling elsewhere boarded stagecoaches that took them to San Luis Obispo to catch another outbound stagecoach.
Reports are that within 90-days the town added three hotels, three general stores, a drug store, two blacksmith shops, five saloons, a billiard parlor, a lumber yard, two barber shops, a public hall, post of- fice, and around 30 homes.
In 1889, Southern Pacific extended the railroad south to Santa Margarita and moved the railroad station. Templeton remained a ship- ping center for grain, wood, charcoal, fruit and cattle to be transported by train to markets across the nation.
Why the name ‘Templeton’?
Someone suggested naming the town “Crocker” after Charles F. Crocker, the Vice President of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Crocker chose the name “Templeton” after his two-year old son. Templeton, whose full name was Charles Templeton Crocker became quite well known.
Templeton was responsible for establishing the California Historical Society as a permanent organiza- tion in 1922. He also wrote the first American opera to be produced in Europe, “The Land of Happiness” or “Fey-Yen-Fah,” and is credited with popularizing Art Deco in America.
Templeton funded expeditions with academic institutions aboard his personal yacht, the Zaca. In 1930 he sailed around the world, memorial- izing the adventure in his book, “The Cruise of the Zaca.” He sold the Zaca to the United States Navy in 1940. The Zaca was later purchased by Er- rol Flynn, who released a documen- tary with the same title as Crocker’s book about a 1946 collection trip taken with his father, marine biolo- gist Professor Theodore Flynn.
Preserving history
Templeton area history is researched and preserved by the Templeton Historical Museum Soci- ety. For more information about the museum and hours of operation visit
–Jackie Iddings
SUMMER / FALL 2020 63

   61   62   63   64   65